Breast cancer screening events in the Coastal Health District
SAVANNAH, Ga. (WTOC) - Health departments throughout the Coastal Health District will hold breast cancer screening events throughout the month of October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The earlier breast cancer is diagnosed, the easier it is to treat.
The Coastal Health District says it’s noticed many people putting off their routine check-ups because of the pandemic. This includes women and their annual mammogram.
This worries local health leaders, because breast cancer may go undiagnosed. That’s why the Coastal Health District wants to remind uninsured women, especially those between 40 and 64 years old, the health department already has money set aside to cover those costs.
“Those funds, they cover screening women for breast cancer with doing a clinical breast exam. It pays for a mammogram. If their mammogram comes back and it shows they need further testing, the funds will also cover that, cover the diagnostic test,” District Nursing Director Angela Hartley said.
Hartley says if a woman under 40 years old finds a lump, the funds are still able to cover her tests.
Women who meet certain annual income guidelines and are 40-64 years of age without insurance will be eligible to receive mammograms or breast exams and mammogram referrals at no cost as part of the Breast and Cervical Cancer Program (BCCP). BCCP provides access to breast and cervical cancer screening for women who may not otherwise have the means to access such services.
In counties where mammograms are being offered, women who have an order from their healthcare provider or have insurance can still get a mammogram, but it will not be covered through the BCCP program.
For more information on BCCP, please visit our website at gachd.org/bccp.
Coastal Health District Breast Cancer Awareness Events
- Bryan County Date: Tuesday, October 19 Time: 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. Location: Bryan County Health Department, 430 Ledford Street, Pembroke Service offered: Clinical breast exams and mammogram referrals Call 912-653-4331 to schedule an appointment.
- Camden County Date: Thursday, October 28 Time: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Location: Camden County Health Department, 905 Dilworth Street, St. Marys Service offered: Clinical breast exams and mammogram referrals Call 912-912-882-8515 or 912-576-3040 to schedule an appointment.
- Effingham County Date: Wednesday, October 6 Time: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Location: Effingham County Health Department, 802 GA Hwy. 119 South, Springfield Service offered: Clinical breast exams and mammogram referrals Call 912-754-6484 to schedule an appointment.
- Glynn County Date: Tuesday, October 5 Time: 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Location: Glynn County Health Department, 2747 Fourth Street, Brunswick Service offered: Mammograms Call 912-264-3961 to schedule an appointment.
- Liberty County Date: Wednesday, October 13 Time: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Location: Liberty County Health Department, 1113 E. Oglethorpe Hwy., Hinesville Service offered: Mammograms Appointments encouraged; walk-ins accepted. Call 912-876-2171 to schedule an appointment.
- Long County Date: Tuesday, October 19 Time: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Location: Long County Health Department, 57 North Macon Street, Ludowici Service offered: Mammograms Call 912-545-2107 to schedule an appointment.
- McIntosh County Date: Monday, October 25 Time: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Location: The Coastal Market, 5214 US 17, Darien Service offered: Mammograms NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY *God’s Ocean food truck will be on site and offer a 20% discount to those receiving mammograms that day.
The Coastal Health District isn’t the only place someone can get a breast cancer screening. Telfair Breast Care with St. Joseph’s/Candler, the Breast Imaging Center at Memorial Health, SouthCoast Health - all places you can get a mammogram, if you have insurance.
Copyright 2021 WTOC. All rights reserved.